The 2016 JRAC Championships were held July 28-29 at the NOVA Aquatics Center. In a strong showing with many jaw-dropping swims and PRs, Ridgetop took home the sixth place trophy while scoring 695 points, which is 131 points more than we scored last year. The full results can be found here.
New Personal Best Swims
Quadruple-PR swimmers: Taylor Biltz, Anne Claire Hart
Triple-PR swimmers: Aidan Cassidy, Logan Cohn, Ben Coker, Madeleine Cullop, Casey Fenster, Ian Fraser, Mina Leino, Norah Pascual, Carter Payne, Zoe Trenz.
The best measure of success for a swimmer in a meet is to set a new personal record (PR) in an event, and many swimmers did so at this meet. This week, an amazing 12 swimmers (listed above) equalled or bettered their best times in three or more individual events. Many other swimmers set at least one personal best time. Getting a best time in a meet is something to be very proud about!
The largest single drop of the meet was recorded by Owen Andrews, who dropped over 6 seconds from his previous best 50 back time to take 6th place in the event!
Other impressive drops were recorded by Ben Coker (4.5 sec in 50 back), Mason Shephard (4.7 sec in 50 fly), and Madoc Winters (5.6 sec in 50 back). Very nice! Current best times, sorted by name, are found here. Use them to set goals and measure your progress.
Finally, the coaches are all very proud of Alexis Biltz, who was one of six graduating seniors chosen by JRAC to receive a Michael J Stott scholarship; this is quite an honor!
Below are our medal winners. Congratulations to our double-winners Mina Leino and Charlie Prideaux. Mina medalled every time she touched the water (five times!), while Charlie finished his JRAC career with the impressive haul of two gold and two silver medals.
Gold: Cara Brickhouse, Logan Cohn, Will Coker, Ian Fraser, Mina Leino (2), Emily Pilc, Charlie Prideaux (2), Lucie Speck, Zoe Trenz.
Silver: Cara Brickhouse, Aidan Cassidy, Will Coker (3), Madeleine Cullop, Elise Gresham, Frances Melvin, Emily Pilc (2), Charlie Prideaux (2), Cameron Schwartz, Mason Shephard, Molly Sleman (2), Lucie Speck, William Sutten.
Bronze: Alexis Biltz, Schuyler Biltz, Taylor Biltz, Cara Brickhouse, Ben Coker (2), Madeleine Cullop, Casey Fenster (2), Ian Fraser, Elise Gresham, Anne Claire Hart, Mina Leino (3), Norah Pascual, Turner Phaup, Emily Pilc, Miles Prusek, Molly Sleman, Ian Stevenson, Grace Sutten.
That’s some serious hardware! Well done, Ridgetop swimmers.
A number of swimmers achieved new JRAC standards at the meet. Bolded names are swimmers who will remain in the same age group next year and so the team will benefit from swimming in their new speed classification.
- New Regular time standards were achieved by: Owen Andrews, Alexis Biltz, Cara Brickhouse, Aidan Cassidy, Logan Cohn (2), Ben Coker (2), Jack Davis, Casey Fenster (2), Ian Fraser (2), Elise Gresham, Mina Leino (2), Frances Melvin, Ann Haden Payne, Carter Payne, Mason Shepherd, Christian Sleman, Grace Sutten, Madoc Winters.
- New X time standards were achieved by: Will Coker, Anne Claire Hart, Ryley Ogden, Norah Pascual, Turner Phaup, Charles Prideaux (2), Miles Prusek, Molly Sleman (2), Grace Sutten, William Sutten.
- New XX time standards were achieved by: Schuyler Biltz, Taylor Biltz, Tory Farmer, William Kurz, Norah Pascual, Lucie Speck.
Ridgetop Top 10 and Records
- Molly Sleman (8): 25 breast (9th)
- Norah Pascual (9): 50 free (5th), 50 fly (10th), 100 IM (7th)
- Anne Claire Hart (9): 100 IM (10th)
- Lucie Speck (13): 100 free (7th), 100 IM (6th)
- Taylor Biltz (14): 50 back (2nd), 50 breast (1st), 50 fly (3rd)
- Maddie Andrews (14): 50 fly (7th)
- Kate Farmer (14): 100 breast (5th)
- Frances Melvin (16): 50 free (5th), 100 IM (9th)
- Mina Leino (17): 50 free (9th)
- Schuyler Biltz (16): 100 free (3rd)
- Emily Pilc (16): 50 back (9th), 50 breast (4th)
- Zoe Trenz (17): 100 breast (1st), 50 fly (1st), 100 IM (1st)
- Ryley Ogden (17): 100 IM (8th)
- Owen Prusek (8): 25 back (6th)
- William Kurz (11): 50 back (6th), 50 fly (7th)
- Charlie Prideaux (18): 50 free (2nd), 50 fly (7th)
- Tory Farmer (17): 100 free (3rd)
- Ian Stevenson (17): 50 back (5th), 100 IM (5th)
- Will Coker (15): 50 back (6th)
- Ian Fraser (18): 50 breast (8th), 100 IM (10th)
- Hank Holland (16): 100 breast (6th)
The coaches are proud of the energy and sportsmanship of everyone who participated in the meet, whether they are specifically mentioned here or not. Well done, everyone!