On June 27-28 we hosted Kanawha for our third meet, and first home meet, of the season. Thunderstorms cut the first day short, but a handful of stalwart and dedicated swimmers closed things out on the second day. Despite many great swims, our team fell short to the visitors by a score of 1201-1732. The full results can be found here.
Triple-PR swimmers: Logan Cohn, James Fraser, Isabella Grice, Davis Guise, Matthew Guise, Anne Claire Hart, Patrick Hinkle, William Kurz, Andy Logan, Luke Logan, Turner Phaup, Ella Post, Henry Prideaux, Christian Sleman, Morgan Stoudt, Ellie Torrence, Weston Williams, Madoc Winters.
Quadruple Winners: Maddie Andrews, Taylor Biltz, Hank Holland, Ian Stevenson, Zoe Trenz.
Triple Winners: Kate Farmer, Frances Melvin, Owen Prusek, Cameron Schwartz, Molly Sleman, Lucie Speck.
New Personal Best Swims
One of the best aspects of meets for the coaches is reviewing all the best times achieved by our awesome swimmers! That’s because at Ridgetop we celebrate improvement above all else, and the best measure of success for a swimmer in a meet is to set a new personal record (PR) in an event. Many swimmers did so at this meet! In fact, 18 swimmers — listed above — achieved PRs in THREE events, the maximum possible. Many, many other swimmers set at least one PR; getting a best time in a meet is something to be very proud about. Way to go Riptides!
The single biggest time drop of the meet was recorded by Alexander Moore, who had a drop of over 20 seconds in the 50 free. So impressive for a 12-year-old! Henry Prideaux had not one but TWO swims with drops of over 10 seconds: the 100 IM (15.9 sec drop) and the 50 fly (10.1 sec drop). Other swimmers with drops of 10 or more seconds were Tristan Frantz, Elise Gresham, Susan Pilc, Tommy Roberts, and Nate Winters. The following siblings EACH had 10 second drops in an event: Ashe, Connor and Dorothy Romans; Eliza and Paul Sundberg; and Carter and Ellie Torrence. Whatever you are feeding those kids, keep it up!
New Time Standards Achieved
Quite a few swimmers improved their JRAC Speed Classifications at the meet.
- New Champs qualifying times were achieved by: Ella Davis, Tristan Frantz, Stella Fredrick, Madeleine Garrett, Eva Green, Sven Komorowski, Alka Link, Luke Logan, Hannah Mahan, Charlie Pilc, Christian Sleman, Millie Speck, Ellie Torrence, Trista Walton, Geneva Weidhaas, Georgia Wilson.
- New Regular time standards were achieved by: Alexis Biltz, Casey Fenster, Tristan Frantz (2), Davis Guise, Matthew Guise (2), Tommy Roberts, Brandon Smith, Joseph Strait, Nate Winters, Reid Winters.
- New X time standards were achieved by: James Fraser, Owen Prusek, Reid Winters.
Having swimmers in a variety of speed classifications in every age group gives the team a lot more weapons in dual meets, so achieving new time standards helps your teammates in a very tangible way!
Ridgetop Top 10 and Records
A number of swims from the meet made it to the Ridgetop All-Time Top 10 list, as summarized below. Congratulations to all these swimmers!
- Molly Sleman: 25 free (4th)
- Grace Phaup: 50 fly (9th)
- Lucie Speck: 50 free (6th)
- Taylor Biltz: 50 back (3rd)
- Reid Winters: 25 fly (10th)
- William Kurz: 50 back (8th), 100 IM (6th)
- Charles Prideaux: 50 free (5th)
- James Fraser: 100 free (6th), 50 fly (7th), 100 IM (8th)
- Hank Holland: 100 breast (6th)
The coaches are VERY proud of the energy and sportsmanship of everyone who participated in the meet, whether they are specifically mentioned here or not. Awesome job, everyone!