On June 20 we visited Avalon for our second meet of the season. Although we were missing a sizable number (40) of swimmers, we managed to prevail in a tight contest, 1289 – 1057, for our first win of the season in the tough Blue division. Great job, team! The full results can be found here.
Triple-PR swimmers: Aidan Cassidy, Logan Cohn, Ben Coker, Will Coker, Madeleine Cullop, Casey Fenster, James Fraser, Stella Fredrick, Elise Gresham, Davis Guise, Matthew Guise, Anne Claire Hart, William Kurz, Rowen Link, Ann Haden Payne, Bjorn Petersson, Grace Phaup, Susan Pilc, Mason Shepherd, Molly Sleman, Brandon Smith, Richmond Southall, Eliza Sundberg, Weston Williams, Madoc Winters, Reid Winters.
Quadruple Winners: Schuyler Biltz, Hank Holland, William Kurz, Zoe Trenz.
Triple Winners: Taylor Biltz, Grace Phaup, Brandon Smith, Ian Stevenson, Weston Williams.
New Personal Best Swims
At Ridgetop we celebrate improvement above all else, and the best measure of success for a swimmer in a meet is to set a new personal record (PR) in an event. Many swimmers did so at this meet! In fact, 26 swimmers — listed above — achieved PRs in THREE events, the maximum possible. Many, many other swimmers set at least one PR; getting a best time in a meet is something to be very proud about. Way to go Riptides!
The single biggest time drop of the meet was recorded by Kristine Ogden, who had the huge drop of over 39 seconds in the 50 breast. Another impressive time drop was the 11+ second drop by 16-year-old Casey Fenster in the 100 breast; it isn’t easy for older kids to lop off such significant chunks of time. Reid Winters, coming back from an injury, dropped a combined 19 seconds in setting three PRs in the meet. AnneCarter Budwell, Ben Coker, Bennett Friday, Bjorn Petersson, and Susan Pilc were all swimmers who dropped over 10 seconds in one event.
New Time Standards Achieved
Quite a few swimmers improved their JRAC Speed Classifications at the meet.
- New Champs qualifying times were achieved by: Madison Bradshaw, Aidan Cassidy, Brody Cohn, Ben Coker (2), Madeleine Cullop (2), Stella Fredrick, Matthew Guise (2), Ann Haden Payne, Bjorn Petersson, Ella Post, Weston Williams (2), Reid Winters.
- New Regular time standards were achieved by: Aidan Cassidy, Kyra Evans, Davis Guise, Matthew Guise, Anne Claire Hart (2), Reed Jones, Alka Link, Grace Phaup, Hayden Schwartz, Brandon Smith, Keegan Southall, Weston Williams, Nate Winters, Reid Winters (2)
- New X time standards were achieved by: Will Coker, William Kurz (2), Owen Prusek (2), Lucie Speck (2).
- And a new XX time standard was achieved by Taylor Biltz.
Having swimmers in a variety of speed classifications in every age group gives the team a lot more weapons in dual meets, so achieving new time standards helps your teammates in a very tangible way!
Ridgetop Top 10 and Records
One new team record was set at the meet: Zoe Trenz set a new record of 1:03.56 in the 100 free, smashing a 12-year-old mark by Ellie Saunders by over a second. Wow! A number of other swims from the meet made it to the Ridgetop All-Time Top 10 list, as summarized below. Congratulations to all these swimmers!
- Molly Sleman: 25 free (4th)
- Cameron Schwartz: 25 back (7th)
- Grace Phaup: 50 fly (9th)
- Taylor Biltz: 100 free (6th), 100 IM (5th)
- Lucie Speck: 100 free (9th), 100 breast (10th)
- Zoe Trenz: 100 free (1st)
- Owen Prusek: 25 free (8th)
- William Kurz: 100 IM (9th)
- Will Coker: 50 free (10th), 50 fly (9th), 100 IM (7th)
- James Fraser: 100 breast (9th)
The coaches are VERY proud of the energy and sportsmanship of everyone who participated in the meet, whether they are specifically mentioned here or not. Awesome job, everyone!